Thursday, January 1, 2009

Our Christmas Eve

We have a tradition that has been going on for years for Christmas Eve. We get together at my parents house with another family, The Halls. We've been friends with them since they had their first of 5 kids - I babysat their firstborn when I was 12 yrs old. We've stayed close with them all these years - their kids consider my parents another set of grandparents and when the parents would go out of town, I would go over and babysit their kids for them etc... So, this is part of the family. One daughter is on a mission and the son in the background (the one that I babysat when he was a baby) is just barely engaged (his fiance is sitting next to him). We traditionally start the evening off with dinner and then a program. Each kid takes a turn doing some type of musical thing - piano, guitar, singing etc...
My kids played bells and sang Jingle Bells...

and then Jackson, ever so brave, sang "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" all by himself. It was so cute! Kaitlin before we left our house for the evening

Mimi and Kaitlin
After the program, we do a manger scene. The oldest son that I babysat, Michael, sings a song about the manger and my mom plays the piano. Then each child (and teenager) walks in dressed as a part. I didn't get pictures of the whole thing but I know my dad did (hint, hint!) so when he emails them to me, I will post them. But here is Logan as a wiseman and Kaitlin as an angel.
The kids with their new pajamas - our tradition of giving them new jammies on Christmas Eve, thanks to Grandma Howick!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a show they put on! Nice costumes too! G-reat Eve idea!