Here is another, "Am I the only one?" post. Am I the only one who's kids refuse to sleep past 6:30am? Once in a while, I can get a 7:20am sleep in but for the most part it's 6:30. And it doesn't matter what time they go to bed. 7:30pm or 10:30pm, they are all still up by 6:30!!!! {pulling hair out!} It's still dark outside and they are all awake. I don't understand why their internal clocks make them wake up so dang early! And I've tried everything to get them to not wake each other up but it will work for a day or so and the next day, they wake each other up. Even when it does work for the day, the next kid or 2 is up on their own 5 minutes later so it doesn't really matter.
Why won't my kids sleep in? Even until 8 would be amazing!
Back Home to Utah
23 hours ago


7 comments:
My kids are the same way! I thought that putting them to bed later would help but just like yours they still get up at the same time. Lately we have been telling them they can't get up out of bed until Mr. Sun comes up. It works sometimes but they just end up playing in their room which still wakes me up!! It must just be a kid thing. Or some secret we don't know yet.
The Other Jenn
Jen, do yours do this even if they're up late (like Jenn's)? I have the opposite problem (older kids). Can't get them to bed early enough, then have to drag them out of bed for school at 7:00. Our natural clock seems to be closer to 8:00 AM, when it's not a school day and they just wake up at will. I'm just dreading kids that have to get up super-early for junior high and high school.
Brooke use to do this all the time. It would drive me crazy. I put an alarm clock in her room. I showed her what the #7 looked like. I even drew it on a piece of paper that stood up next to the clock so she could compare. (I think she was only 3 years old) She wasn't allowed to come out of her room until it said 7. I wish it was 8, but didn't think it was realistic for her. In the begining, she'd come out at exactly 7:00, but eventually she started falling back to sleep waiting. Haven't had a problem since.
Hmm...Jonathan is like me, he likes to sleep-in in the morning! If you don't wake him up, he will sleep til 8:00 or 8:30 (Bless his heart!) But, Mikayla is like Mick and usually wakes up anywhere from 7:00 to 7:30. They don't get to bed as early as they probably should though so I wonder if that makes the difference.
We, do, however still have the middle of the night wakeup calls with Mikayla. Never fails around 2:30am, she comes crawling into our bed after she has slammed the door to both her room and ours.
Fun times. Sleep, will it ever be quite the same for us moms or dads?1?!?
Spencer is the early riser around here, and usually he doesn't wake up until 7 or 7:30. Since he and Jack share a room, and Jack is a good little sleeper (thank you, Lord) I basically threatened him with his young life that if he wakes up little brother, he incurs the wrath of the mad mommy. So far, so good. :) I also learned that if I put a drink in the fridge for him I can buy myself a a good 15 minutes. I also trained him to leave his room, shut the door (softly!), and play quietly in the family room when he gets up.
I like the suggestion above about giving them a time that they are allowed to come out or get up. Anyone I've talked to that has done this says it WORKS! I did something similar when I would make Spencer have quiet time in the afternoon. I put tape on his clock and told him when the hands get to the tape, he can come out. And it worked... most of the time. Good luck!
Someone else also told me that in order to buy her a few more minutes of sleep in the morning, she would out bowls of cereal at the breakfast table the night before with spoons. Then she said she put individual cups of milk at their level in the fridge and taught her kids how to get their breakfast themselves, sort of speak, when they woke up. Not sure how that would sit with you. I haven't tried that yet. Maybe when mine get a little older they'd be ready for that kind of responsibility. But yours are a little older so it could work! Just passing on something somebody once told me.
Good luck!
love the idea of setting out cereal and milk in the fridge! i like that one for a sat. morning! could buy me a few more minutes. but jen, i'm right with you. our kids are up between 6-6:30. its painful. ours have clocks and our rule is "stay in bed until 7" but we have one that is up super early and RUNS to the bathroom, then RUNS back to bed, waking everyone he passes on the way. its great. like michelle said, sleep will never be the same again... i'm still dreaming of a full night without interruptions!!
Post a Comment