Wednesday, December 16, 2009

15 or more years of tradition


This is a tradition that I look forward to every year. The Halls (lifelong friends of ours), and my family all meet at my parents house for an evening of music, a nativity, and yummy food! (like deviled eggs that is a MUST HAVE! My mom almost forgot it this year- we would have died!) Even though the Hall kids are growing up and getting married, and even when we started this, I was single, and now I have 4 kids, it is something that will probably continue for life!

my kids doing their token 2 songs. "Once their was a snowman" and "Jingle Bells!"

Matthew, who left on his mission 3 days after this, singing an awesome Josh Groban song called, "Thankful"

the baby Jesus... and she was such a ham!

Michael (the kid in the back with the beard) sings a song about the nativity, and each person comes walking out dressed in garb and sits around "the baby Jesus." This year, Suzanne (the mom of the Halls) convinced one of the newly married wives and a girlfriend to participate. The only ones that didn't have to do it was me, Brian, my dad, and Mike (the dad of the Halls!)

"I'm outta here!"

An impromptu duet with Matthew and Michael

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love love love that that you guys participate and put this musical holiday event on! The true meaning of Christmas!
Hats off to you, your mom and Halls.
Baby Jesus, little Carli, such a cute idea!

Anonymous said...

p.s. I miss you guys. I'm super touched for some reason by seeing this musical moment. Seriously. I remember your moms magical piano fingers and how we'd occasionally try to sing along piano-side years, I mean YEARS ago.

Best of the Best for a great Holiday Season!

Love to all!

Jen Howick said...

ahhh, Michelle. That's so sweet of you. We often comment about how much we wish that we all lived closer to each other. We'd have playdates galore, date nights etc.. It would be SO FUN! At least we still keep in touch though. You've been my friend for 25 years! Not too many people our age can say that they have had a true friend for that long and I am grateful that I can!

Erika said...

That is my kind of party. Love the instruments--someday I'll have 2 violinists and a cellist Ü. Sounds like such a fun time. Do you know what the title is of the song he sang during the nativity? My family does a nativity on Christmas Eve, and I like the idea of having someone sing while they come out.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Good golly, I just checked your blog and you have about 500 new posts. And they're all so cute. How do you manage it all? I'm proud if we do a post a month... Anyway, loved hearing about all your recent Christmas activities.

Jen Howick said...

Erika, I think it's from the Primary songbook... but i will get the name of it from my mom and let you know! And Denise, I feel like I haven't posted in ages! I don't know if posting more often is more ideal, or what, but it took me almost 2 hours last night to download, edit, and post all of this!

Jen Howick said...

ok, it's called The Nativity Song on page 52. Each person comes out according to what point of the song is being sung (one of the mom's stays with all the kids and helps them to know when to come out). Super fun. We've done it for years and every year it's always different, depending on what baby has been born and who is participating.

Anonymous said...

Jenny, ( I'm probably the only one left that calls you that, huh?)

I'm so glad I had you in my life to grow up with. Couldn't have asked for a better friend, my bestest friend! It hit me last night that I too wished we lived closer and just got quite emotional for a moment. I so wish I knew your kids personally and that both our kids would have the chance to get to know one another. But that's ok, life is this way. We all grow up and its normal to move on with our own families. But, just for a moment last night I was back to our childhood and it made me miss you big time. Thankfully, we have the power of the internet to keep up and see how our lives are going.

Take care friend!

Jen Howick said...

which is why I think you guys should consider meeting us at Legoland again next summer! Or we could plan a weekend at that cabin at Yosemite too. We WILL get together this summer! You have always been a big part of my life and I know that we will be friends FOR LIFE. A lot of friends say that, but I know that is the truth! There are still a few left that call me "Jenny" - even Brian from time to time! ps - I love how we have conversations on my blog! hee hee!

Anonymous said...

I'm certainly up for vacationing together. We'll plan it out whether it be an amusement park or the lake cabin.

Erika said...

Thanks Jen Ü