I will have some new pics to post tomorrow... but wanted to give some updates. We had a looooong week full of 2 hospital visits, 15 blood draws / IV pokes etc... But we survived. In a nutshell, baby Carli developed this nasty diaper rash - worse I've ever seen and so I took her into the pediatrician. Our normal one wasn't there so we saw the oncall pediatrician (won't make that mistake again!) and she had us up at Primary Children's hospital twice in one day, the final visit caused Brian to spend the night there with Carli - they did 13 blood draws on her (kept missing her veins), and me at home crying myself to sleep thinking my baby was going to die! And after all that, when our normal pediatrician got back into the office, he told us that whole thing was completely an over-reaction on the on-call dr's part and he never never would have let that happen! So after some outrageous medical bills, lost night of sleep, and our baby to go through lots of unneccesary pain, we are just putting it all behind us and trying to forget!
On a positive note, in case anyone noticed, I'm not pregnant anymore. YEA! That's a GREAT feeling! I can actually bend down to pick things up again, eat whatever I want (no more diabetes - YEA!), and hold my sweet little baby!
Carli is very sweet, hardly ever cries. Just when she's hungry and even that is not much of a cry. She is hungry a lot however. She's on a 2 hour eating schedule but that got started because one of the blood tests that doctor had us do showed that she was "severely dehydrated" so she got put onto an every 2 hour schedule... now she's used to it. I'm sure it will get better, though in the night, she'll go 4 hour stretches which is nice.
I have an AMAZING mother in law, who has been with us since the day before Carli was born and will be here until this next Tuesday. She has cleaned my house from top to bottom, done all the laundry, cooked every meal, played with the kids, babysat whenever we needed her etc... I don't know what I will do when she leaves! Mom? That's right.. it's my mom's turn! buahahaha!
And I've had a couple of people ask me about my birthing story. If you don't care, then you can be done reading this post! ;) Otherwise, here we go: Brian and I went in at 7:30am Monday morning to get induced. Nurse started me on Pitocin at 8am, doctor came to hospital and broke my water at 8:50am. Labor started but not much happened for the first couple of hours. Nurses kept upping the dosage of Pitocin. Finally around 11 (I was hoping to have a baby by then!) the contractions started getting harder and harder. At 1, they were unbearable. Bless Brian's heart, he's just the best. He kept telling me how amazing I was, a trooper, etc... Those are good positive words because when you are in that much pain, you start thinking that an epidural, regardless of the headaches I get after them, sounds pretty darn good. I did get some sort of medication put into my IV which did a whole lot of nothin' except make me feel loopy for about 10 minutes. Then it was back to the hard contractions. Around 1:30 the lamest nurse I've ever come across came into my room and I said, "She's coming!" She just stared at me and I said, "SHE'S COMING!" (with Kaitlin, when she came... she came and my doctor almost missed the delivery!) I told Brian to hurry and get another nurse since this one is obviously clueless. That lame nurse checks me and says, "you're at a 6" and in my mind I said, "over my dead body!" So finally another nurse comes in and checks and says, "you're at a 10!" and I thought, "uh yeah!" So they page my doctor and tell me to not push. Do you know how hard it is to not push when that's all you want to do? So I sat there for about 5 minutes and finally Dr Robinson shows up. At this point, I'm dying. The contractions are SO HARD and I just want this kid outta me. One contraction and 3 pushes later, the baby is born. PHEW! And it didn't feel like a "flaming bowling ball with knives coming out" this time around. It did with Kaitlin but I think I was so focused on getting the baby out, that I didn't feel that pain this time around.
But wait... there is still a placenta that is no where to be found that needs to be "delivered." So after 15 minutes of my doctor not being able to find it, she has a nurse grab each of my legs and Brian said she stuck her arm, almost up to her elbow digging around in me looking for it. This went on for a good 3 or 4 minutes (felt like an hour!) The pain was unbearable. I think I about passed out. By the time it was over, I was shaking uncontrollably from the utter shock of what I had just gone through. The 2 nurses told me later they thought they were going to be sick. Brian said that my placenta looked like "hamburger" - it was coming out in pieces. Basically, I gave natural birth to twins - a baby and a placenta. It was horrid. My doctor told me that if I ever get pregnant again (which I don't plan to), I can't go natural again because of that placenta problem. Unreal. But survived. A little sore that first day but by the 2nd day, feeling much better. Glad it's over. Glad I don't have to do it again. ;)
Off to finally watch Twilight. I'm the last person on earth who hasn't seen that movie! Can't wait to see what all the hype has been about.
Back Home to Utah
23 hours ago


5 comments:
That sounds awful!! You have had one ruff week, and you still have the energy for a two hour movie? You'll have to let me know what you think.
Whoa! That sounds like one tough delivery. You must be a seriously stong lady to take all that pain and not ask for an epidural. Good job Jenners! And don't you just hate stupid doctors? Thats so sad that poor Carli had to get poked and prodded for no good reason. I'm sorry. On a happier note, I'm so excited for you that your not pregnant anymore! I remember the feeling of being able to pull your legs into your belly or bend over and not have anything there. It's such a good one! It's also a weird one though. Congrats!! Can't wait to meet her.
Sorry about all the drama, but better safe, right? Glad she's ok and that you can bend down again!
Wow, you are amazing! That's all I can say.
Aren't birthing stories AWESOME! It's strange how different every birth can be... and yet the outcome is always a baby!
Post a Comment