Saturday, September 6, 2008

Canning and how we are

I want to learn how to do some canning. Does anybody know how? Or know of any good online tutorials.. or is it really not that hard? And is it too late in the season to do any canning? Does it have to be done early in the summer or can I can (funny) anytime?

We are doing ok. We have pretty good days and then other days that are blah. Unfortunately, we can't stop because we aren't feeling well, but I must say, my calendar is so bare right now. I showed Brian last month's calendar (packed) vs. this month's calendar - blank. We managed a playdate on Friday and a crafting date in the afternoon- 2 things in one day - unheard of.

I hardly ever cook, we have take in A LOT. I finally threw up today and I did not feel better afterwards so I will continue to resist the urge to throw up and hold it in. It was just gross. I have tons of pics to post, but I can't bare to go into my basement because it flooded last week, and neither of us could pull up the carpet (Brian couldn't bend over to pull it up and it was too heavy for me), and so it's all moldy and it smells DISGUSTING. And I have to go into the basement to download pictures. So someday I will post pictures again.

Brian is in a lot of pain. By the time he gets home from work I think he's going to die. We all did manage to go to Jackson's first soccer game today which was so cute! I have pics of that too.

Bless my mom's heart - she spent all day here last Saturday helping us. From 10am-8pm of doing laundry STRAIT. I think some 10 loads she did and folded and put away. She also cleaned up my house. I hope I'm half as good of a mom to my kids that she is to me and my siblings. Bless Jody's heart - she spent 3 hours here last week cleaning for me. Bless Kara and Rachel's hearts - they brought us dinner last week. I hope I can be as good of friends to all of them as they are to me.

We'll manage, and it's really not all gloom and doom. We still laugh and have fun times, holed up in our house, hardly ever going anywhere! ;)

7 comments:

jodster613 said...

I've bottled some jam and pickles, but you have to can at a cannery, like the church one. i would can with you! hang in there, all will be well, you have alot of support :)

Randi said...

My mom bottles/cans. I usually go in on the fruit/veggies and canning supplies and let her do the hard work (she likes doing it on her own anyway , I just get in the way) and we split the finished product. She has promised to show me in the future, but I don't plan on trying it until my kids are A LOT older, it's quite the undertaking and requires full concentration. Something I do not have with 3 boys running all over.

Glad youare hanging in there. Things will improve.

Kim said...

Jen! You sound so sad and cooped up! I hope you guys both feel better soon. And that totally sucks that your basement flooded! What happened? I know I'm far away, but if theres anything I can do, let me know.

Jen Howick said...

I don't want to sound sad, because like I said, we're not really! People just keep asking what's going on, so thought I would mention! But we are a happy family, just cooped up for now. I'm sure it will pass!

Us Lochers said...

This too shall pass. I OFTEN have to remind myself of this, because in the moment it doesn't seem like it's going to.

You're doing great with the obstacles you have!

Rachel said...

We usually do peaches, beans, and whatever else out of my parents' garden. So, so easy, other than the part where you have kids running underfoot. Email me if you want some directions. Really it just takes time (and I recommend a fan because it gets pretty hot).

I'm sorry you guys are all feeling like crap. Kudos to your mom and friends for taking care of you. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

My parents have canned all kinds of things throughout my childhood and to this day. I've helped can tomatoes, tomato sauce ( an endeavor), apricots and peaches. I am guessing if you have the fruit available, its not too late at all. Just as everyone is saying, you need to have the energy and the time to do get the cutting process and boiling processes accomplished.

When I was pregnant and when I first had Mikayla, I stocked up on some dinners from SuperSuppers and Dinner My Way. Not sure if you have those out there, but they sure did make the cookie process a no brainer and most of the meals were good and healthy too! Just another option out there!

Bet that 2nd trimester couldn't come soon enough!