i had an unfortunate experience today. i hit a parked car in a parking lot. how does one do that you ask? i'm not quite sure but lucky me, i managed to do it. it was horrible. i didn't know what to do. basically, i tried pulling into a spot that was way to small for my explorer and my right bumper rubbed, scraped, whatever you want to call it along the side of the right side of this poor car. from the passenger door to the drivers side door. long and thick white, (don't know why - maybe the friction?), red (my car), and blue (that person's car). ugh!!! so the first thing i did was move to a different parking spot. then i wrote down the license plate and make of the other car. then i debated whether i should leave a note or not. isn't that horrible? but i admit that i wasn't sure. so i took my kids into the place i was at and decided what to do. i was secretly hoping that the car would be gone. but when i got back out, it was still there. so i called my parents. brian was on the road back from idaho and had no reception on his phone. so my parents it was. my dad said - well, of course you have to leave a note. that's the right thing to do, he said. of course. i didn't really expect a different answer out of him. the car was kind of a beater so that was really why i hesitated. what if this person tried to nail me for all the other imperfections on his car? so i wrote out the note and stuck under the windshield wiper and then went up to my parents house. i called jody and erin and told them of my ordeal. erin works for an insurance company so she advised me on all that. mind you, brian and i both got into car accidents just a few months ago. mine was my fault (again) because i rear ended a bmw. brian's accident was his fault as well and he totalled his car. i finally got a hold of brian and told him what happened and he said that we have one more "freebie" left on our insurance and then after this, neither of us can have anymore accidents!!! to make a long afternoon short, i got home a little while ago and there was a message on my answering machine. it went like this:
"hi jen, this is damon. i'm the owner of the car that you slammed into." ::CRINGE!::
"haha, just kidding. actually i took it down to the carwash and all of the paint rubbed right off so it's totally fine. dont' even worry about it. the car has a lot of dings and scratches on it anyway. thank you for the note though. i really appreciate it. have a great day!"
wow... years of guilt erased because i did the right thing and left a note. once again honesty pays off.
7 comments:
Yay for honesty!! That's awesome that he was so nice. You definitely lucked out.
Oh my gosh, what a relief!!! Way to go Jen! I'll do the sprinkler dance to celebrate! :o) LOL!!
Good for you for leaving a note. I've done 3 hit and runs (in my teens and early 20's) and never once left a note. I'm a mean and terrible person. I'm glad YOU did the right thing and it all worked out! Good thing he didn't try to take you to the cleaners by blaming the other dents in his car on you :)
I'm thinking that you and Brian have "driving" problems. Maybe you should start biking everywhere? he he he
You did the right thing. You're lucky that it wasn't another BMW.
Yay Jen! I'm so proud of you :) I remember doing the same thing in high school at Ace Hardware and having to find the owner of the car in the store. I don't remember much of it, I must have blocked it out. I'm glad the guy was nice to you!
Oh man, talk about trauma! Way to go for leaving a note - good girl!! I've been on the other side, where some stupid girl (seriously, she was an idiot) ran into me and then tried to get out of it AND blame it all on me. UGH. I'm glad the guy was so nice to you!
Wow!! Honesty pays off! I always worry about those kind of situations myself... I know in the past when people have hit me in the parking lot, no one has even left me a note. :) Good for you!
Post a Comment