Sunday, June 29, 2008

camping


Jackson, Kaitlin and I went camping with 4 other family friends of ours this weekend. Brian threw his back out on Tuesday so he was unable to go and Logan had the flu so they stayed at home.

We had a good time but there are 3 reasons why I'm pretty sure a couple of people were pretty dang sick of us. 1) Darla and I went 4 wheeling when we first got there and I was scared to ride my own 4 wheeler but she convinced me to do so. I was doing great until she took me up a steep hill (and she said, "it's not as bad as it looks!") I should have known that was a pre-cursor. We got about half way up it and my 4 wheeler stalled. She was ahead of me so she didn't know. I had no idea how to start the thing and it kept rolling backwards unless I held the brakes really hard with my hands. I sat in this scared yet hillarious position for about 5 minutes (but it felt way longer) until she realized I was gone and came back to get me. We had to laugh, it's about all that we could do!


2) This is our bed inside my Explorer that we made for 6 of us. Jody, Josh, me, Adrianna, Kaitlin, and Jackson. The kids couldn't settle down so me and my 2 kids went and slept in our tent. It was great until Kaitlin woke up at 4:30 in the morning and refused to stop crying / screaming. Everytime I tried to touch her to calm her down, she screamed even louder. I heard all of the other families stirring and talking and probably saying amongst themselves, "shut that kid up!!!" so I finally grabbed the 2 kids and went and disturbed the 3 sleeping beauties (who were all very sweet about it) in my car and we slept in there with them. Kaitlin immediately stopped crying. I was in the drivers seat with Jackson on one side of me and Kaitlin on the other. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much!

I got out of the car around 7 and went to the bathroom. While in the bathroom, I heard my car alarm go off and when I got back, Brian Locher said, "The Scentsy Queen wakes everyone up again!" Ok, I can tell I'm pretty much annoying the crap out of him!

Four 4 yr olds - it doesn't get much better than that. For the most part, they played really well together. From front to back: Adrianna, Alyssa, Kate, and Jackson.



3) When I was packing up my car to leave, I heard this ticking sound in the front seat. I stuck my key in the ignition and sure enough, just as I thought, the car battery was dead. I knew this was the final straw with Locher!!! I was in big trouble now! Luckily / unlucky for him - my car and his car were parked head to head so he got to jump my car. At first it didn't work and I thought - oh crap! But finally it was up and running. Didn't turn that car off - loaded it up and took off.
Aside from those few mishaps, it was a pretty fun time. I know we all went home and napped all day yesterday and went to bed really early last night. Camping with kids is fun, except for all the nighttime stuff! Maybe next time we'll take Rachel up on her suggestion and go roast marshmellows and then go home for the night! Thanks for the good food and friends though. It was a blast!

3 comments:

Us Lochers said...

It's always got to be somebody, right? We're just lucky it wasn't us this time! he he

jodster613 said...

good friends should be friends no matter what and we've all had hard times with our kids at our own times! At least the kids had a great time!

rachel said...

It wouldn't have been nearly as fun without you guys! Thanks for the fun camping trip. We had a blast - honestly!