Brian and I are having a battle about where the kids can eat and drink. Do you let your kids eat wherever they want, or do they have to stay at the kitchen table? Also, do you let your kids take drinks to bed? If so, what kind of drink...
thanks!
Back Home to Utah
23 hours ago


10 comments:
our general rule is you eat at the table, and all our meals are at the table. BUT, depending on the food in question, i let them sometimes eat on the couch if they are watching a movie and its just snack time or lunch time (we eat b-fast and dinner at table with no TV on.) the couch is ok also, IF its something thats not wet/messy and can easily be vacuumed up. (like a sandwich and chips). I also let them 'wander' the house with a baggie of food--goldfish, apple slices, etc, as long as its confined to a bag. drinks MUST stay at the table unless they are in a sippy type cup, but even those have had issues, so we usually just say drinks stay at the table. (this gets easier as the kids get older i think). As for bed, i don't let them take drinks to bed just because i know i can't handle the bed wetting at 2 a.m. that comes as a result. when they wore diapers/pull ups to bed, i let them take a sippy of water if they wanted one. for the potty trained ones now, i just say 'if you're thirsty, go get a sip of water from the bathroom cup' and that works. GOOD LUCK!! ;)
Hmmm, I think I want to know your opinion before I answer this one....
I make my kids eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the table. All drinks are to be left at the table unless it's in their waterbottle. Then it can only be water. My daughter takes a waterbottle to bed. She doesn't have a bed wetting problem and she doesn't wake me up if she has to use the restroom in the middle of the night. I don't feel like discouraging the water bottle because I don't feel like they drink enough water as it is. That, and I take my waterbottle with me wherever I go so I remember to drink. When they are watching the TV, there are only a few things they can take downstairs. They can have one packet of fruit snacks, and as much fruit or vegetables that they want. They don't seem to overeat on those, and who cares if they indulge on vegetables. I'm trying to teach them not to do mindless eating. And, I really hate cleaning up all the food messes. They loose their food privledges downstairs if they don't clean up after themselves. I don't know. It's kind of tricky. If you're trying to teach your kids good eating habits, it's probably best for them to leave their food at the table. Helps them focus on food and their own hunger scale than other distractions. Don't know if that makes sense.
We all eat our major meals together at the dining table. Snacks can be eaten in their play room if they are not too juicy or messy. But meals at the table is the usual deal here. In the summer, we might sit outside and eat on the patio table or have a picnic on the grass, however.
Goodness, the night time drink is usually milk since Mikayla still likes her bottle ( I know it should be water but its hard to break right now). And Jonathan might get a sippy cup of water to bed too!
We eat in the kitchen. We do let them eat snacks downstairs if we're watching a movie together as a family. Drinks? I will let Meg have a small sippy cup of water at bedtime, but only water. She begs for apple juice but I hate the idea of that sitting on her teeth all night long.
Kitchen table for sure and water only for bed. I've gotten stricter about this kind of stuff the more kids I have!
I'd reply with what we do but I think I'd get a "worst moms award" on my door tomorrow if people read it. :p So I will just say, you know me well enough to know what we do and good luck! :)
Kids can eat and drink in the kitchen. Occassionally we'll let them have a non-messy snack during movies.
We let our girls take sippies with water to bed (but that's mostly just so they don't keep using the "I'm thirsty" excuse to keep getting out of bed). The health of your teeth dictates your overall health so that's something I won't budge on, and never have.
At our house:
Eating: ALWAYS at the table (inside or out-in summer) or at the island.
Drinking: keep it in the kitchen or take it outside (weather permitting) however, we let all the boys wander with their sippy cups at that age. NEVER did bottles, sippies, etc in bed. BUT occasionally Nicklaus will complain that he wants water at night so I'll give him a sippy with that, 1/2 full. Older boys have to get their own drinks once they are in bed if they are thirsty. Also, we cut off all juice, milk, occasional soda after dinner. Strictly water. HTH.
By "island" I meant like our bar that is attatched to our island in the kitchen. Breakfast is always done there cuz we are minus dad M-F. No need to eat formally at the table then. Lunch is pretty much the same deal.
My kids never took a drink to bed unless they got thirsty in the night and then I'd bring them a sippy cup of water to keep by their bed. Food is always to be eaten in the kitchen, sitting down at the table. But now that they're older and less prone to spill and make a mess I let them eat popcorn or drink milkshakes out in the family room while we watch a movie.
Post a Comment