Well, we are still failing in the sleep department. It took me about 2 weeks to get Kaitlin to stay in her bed but now we are regressing because she keeps falling asleep during the day which then puts her to bed around 10pm at night, but because I am so pooped, I put her in my room to watch Scooby Doo (strange that that's her favorite video to watch at night!) and that's where she falls asleep. Jackson is getting a little better about staying in bed, mostly because we are putting him to bed a little later - more like 9ish instead of 8. That seems to be helping. And Brian is the one putting him to bed, he seems to listen to Brian about the bedtime thing more than me.
But our successes come with eating. We've been very lax parents about where our kids eat, what they eat, etc.... They used to eat wherever they wanted (usually the TV room in front of the TV) and I was constantly cleaning up spills, stains, vaccuuming etc... and I would try to get them to eat at the kitchen table but it never happened. Well, I finally put my foot down once and for all a few weeks ago and now they go strait to the kitchen table to eat, no question. Yea, one accomplishment for us! ;)
The other area of struggle has been what they eat. Mealtime has always been difficult. They are the world's pickiest eaters and we've let them. But a few months ago, we finally took to heart our awesome pediatrician's advice about eating and it has paid off very nicely.
1) The meal I choose for them to eat is their only option. If they don't want it, they go hungry. No, ifs and or buts about it. We used to let them get away with not eating it and then before bed give them a snack of some other kind. No more. Sometimes they will still say that they don't want it, and very matter of factly, I tell them, "fine, then go hungry!" Within a minute, they are gobbling up whatever it is.
2) Offer them a dessert if they eat their dinner. If they don't eat, they watch everyone else eat their desserts and they don't get anything. That needs to happen only once before they get the point!
3) Not many snacks in between meals. And if it's about an hour-ish before mealtime, they have to wait for the meal. Giving them a snack an hour before the meal is death for the meal.
Now, they sit down at the kitchen table and eat whatever I give them. I let them choose what they want for breakfast but that's it. If I let them choose all their meals, I'd be making 18 different things. It's bliss, it really is! I feel like we have much happier kids and trust me, much less frustrated parents! YEA FOR US AND OUR KIDS!!!!
How about American Idol: Last night was actually the best of the 3 groups I thought. I'm having a hard time choosing my top 3 but I guess I'll say 1) Lil 2) Scott 3) Ju'not I'm a sucker for Scott, bless his heart. I really hope he does well. He just amazes me - the kid is blind but he has such an amazing talent and gift. And Lil and Ju'not were just great. Brian really liked the first kid, Von, as well. We'll see what tonight brings. I'll be the most disappointed if Scott doesn't go through.
Back Home to Utah
1 day ago


4 comments:
I do the same thing with dinner. We eat at the table and they eat what we eat (sometimes I'll make them a quesadilla instead of a fajita though) But I totally agree. It's too hard to make more than one meal for everyone. I'll have to try your dessert idea though - good one Jen! Oh, and that snack thing before dinner KILLS me. Walker is about to die of starvation and I give in too many times because then he won't eat his dinner.Thanks for sharing your ideas!!
I love, love, love, the food idea. We've been trying to work with our kids on eating dinner better. So sorry about the bed time stuff. That's so hard. Especially when you are pregnant.
You haven't got the book I suggested have you!!! I'm telling you if you get it and follow it exactly, you will have those kids to bed every night within a week! Trust me.
Jenn Bryant
I like those mealtime tips! I could use making fewer than 18 meals a day too!
Post a Comment