I have had Gestational Diabetes with all of my pregnancies (one went undedected until he was born 6 weeks early and weighed 6 lbs!) so my good ol' doctor tested me super early with this pregnacy - at 17 weeks. Normally you get tested around 28 weeks or so. So, I've had it for 13 weeks so far and I still have 9 to go.
Diabetes sucks. I don't know how those who have it all of the time manage but it might be a tad easier when you are not carrying a baby because if you splurge you're not hurting anyone but yourself. When you splurge and you have a baby inside of you, you are hurting you and your baby.
If you know me at all, you know that I LOVE treats. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. And when I am pregnant, I especially love it. Which is common for diabetic pregnant people. It's even more of a craving then when you aren't pregnant.
So today, I started off right. I had yogurt with apples. For my mid morning snack, I had a granola bar. Then lunch hit. I did fine - a salad and sandwhich. But then I snagged a few sips of Kaitlin's rootbeer. Still ok. Then I ate that dang cookie that came with my lunch. Probably still ok but that's where I definitely needed to stop. Then I got a dozen cookies for my boys and my friend that was watching my boys while I went to lunch. So of course, as I was dropping them off to school, I ate another cookie. Doh! Then for my snack 2 hours later, I ate another cookie. UGH! It's getting worse by the hour. Then for dinner, we took the kids to Costco for the cheapest meal on earth - $8.60 to feed a family of 5. Hot dogs and what? Rootbeer. I gave Brian my rootbeer and got myself a water cup. Which never got filled. Why? Because I drank my kids rootbeer of course and didn't need the dang water! What was my snack tonight? Kaitlin's leftover icecream from Costco (luckily only about 1/4 of the cup left) and another cookie. I HATE THOSE COOKIES!
So it's been a bad day. I feel bad for this baby who is probably already a diabetic because I can't control myself! However, I checked with my dr and she said a baby isn't born with diabetes, it's just something they get later on. Nice. So when this baby gets it later on, she can thank her good ol' mom who has NO self control!
No wonder people ask me if I am pregnant constantly when I am not. You can only imagine how well I do, when I am supposedly "eating right and excercising!" NOT! Lypo is definitely in order after this baby is born.
Thanks for the vent. I guess I'll go sleep away my sugar. Tomorrow is a new day. Now where is that one last cookie? j/k
Back Home to Utah
23 hours ago


11 comments:
I'm so sorry, Jen! I wonder if knowing that you shouldn't have it is one of the reasons that makes it so hard? I always get those Dryer's fruit bars when I get a sugar craving. I think that they're only 60 calories or so, but I can feel like I've had a sweet treat. Anyway, I'm sorry that you have to go through this. Yuck!
The apples and yogurt part was healthy. That breakfast sounds so familiar because thats what my mom has each morning ( She doesn't have diabetes but she is pre-diabetic so she tries to be careful) But, don't beat yourself up. Its very hard to eat right all the time. I, too, realize that I have very little self control when it comes to food. I can barely stay on a diet for more than a week or two at a time. Anyway, go have yourself a free breakfast Grand Slam on Tuesday ( eat the protein, skip out on the carbs) and Enjoy!
ok I don't have diabetes so I don't have to feel quite as guilty as you for eating junk. But if it makes you feel any better I eat just as many cookies and junk almost on a daily basis! I have to throw cake, cookies, candy..etc in the garbage to stop myself it's awful. Anyway, I feel your pain (kind of) Don't beat yourself up. Your not the only weak one out there :)
I can't help but chuckle because I have NO self control either!!! I too get comments quite often of "so... are you pregnant"? The worst part is that some are from family members. YIPES! LOL!!! Well don't worry, today is a new day. If you messed up yesterday, no worries, you can try better today. And I forgot today was free grand slam Tuesday........ :p he he
And here it is Girl Scout cookie time, too! Lol! It's so hard. Don't beat yourself up. Just put your whole family on a no-sugar diet and then you will be fine! ;) What good times those will be.
I'm so sorry Jen. That really sucks. I can't even imagine. All those cravings and you're supposed to control all of them. I guess we should all be good when we're pregnant, but we aren't
mmm...cookies. Those cookies were yummy! thanks! I know exactly how you feel. as you saw in my post. how when you try to stop thinking about cookies, you think about them even more. You are probably lacking some sort of vitamin or mineral, some nutrient that your body and the baby needs, so that's why you crave. Also, you shouldn't count all the sweet things you eat in a day, that will make you go crazy. Just watch how your body feels after you eat sweet things instead. it will tell you what it needs. Can you have protein shakes? That's really what got me through my pregnancies. Good luck! BTW, you have great self control. I would have eaten all the kids cookies and not let them even know about them. ha.
You and I have the same love of cookies. First in line for cookies! And back for seconds!
I wish it was so simple as just watching calories and no sugar, but it has nothing to do with that, it's all about counting carbs... and when you have this, your body has to have carbs everyday or there are problems in other areas. It's just a pain. And I wish I could say that was the only day I was naughty, but it's not. However, since then, i've taken on a new motto, "every bite counts!" and I've been super strict. I'm off to a lunch date in a bit, I hope I can keep up the self control! Thanks for the kind, uplifting, motivational words everyone! You're all the greatest!
I have a friend who has vowed to cut out chocolate this year. Yes, this YEAR. That is simply impossible for someone like me. So, I really for for you. I don't know how you've managed 4 pregnancies now with GD, you brave soul. Don't beat yourself up over a few bad days. After the baby comes, you tell me what special treat you want and I'll deliver it to your door!
I don't know why people have to go such extremes as cutting out chocolate for a YEAR! Come on, let's get real! Besides that, chocolate isn't the ultimate evil, sugar in general is not that great, though even carbs break down into sugars. She should just say she's not going to have SUGAR in general, not just chocolate! But I could never do that. Never! ;)
Post a Comment