Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Diabetic Sugar Cookies

I've had a couple of people ask me for my diabetic sugar cookie recipe, so here it is. I really can't even tell much of a difference. I'll be making these more often! ;)

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
2 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder

Cream butter, sugar, vanilla, and egg until fluffy. Add flour and baking powder. Blend until well mixed. Chill dough for 2 hours or overnight. Roll out on a lightly floured surface, 1/8 inch thick. Cut with a cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees or until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool before storing.

4 comments:

Us Lochers said...

do you think you could use Splenda in place of the sugar? Have you tried that one? Lots of diabetics in Brians family....

Randi said...

I was wondering the same thing about the Splenda. How are they diabetic with sugar still? Just curious. Is it cuz there is less sugar than the typical sugar cookie recipe? Anyway, can't wait to try them! Thanks!

Jen Howick said...

Diabetes is funny. It's not really the amount of sugar, it's the carbs that you are counting. Like when I read labels, I am looking at the amount of carbs, not the sugar amount. I even asked my nutritionist if I should be reading both and she said, just the carbs. So yes, there is sugar in these cookies, but I guess it is low enough that it doesn't affect your blood sugar amount. Diabetes is a balancing game. I still have to have sugar (or carbs) -not too much, not too little. As far as the Splenda, I don't know. I avoid fake sugars while pregnant just cuz I am paranoid that way.

Randi said...

That makes sense. SHould have known about the carbs thing. Duh! So basically these are low carb cookies? Splenda isn't the same as aspertame which is bad in LARGE amounts, it's made with natural sugars, tastes close to sugar, I'm sure it would work. I'll try it out. Thanks.