Does anyone have any tips on how to get your kids to bed? Our best sleeper is Logan. He goes down no matter what time we tell him and falls right asleep. But Jackson and Kaitlin are a whole other ballgame. Right now, Jackson is on the couch in the living room watching Jimmy Neutron, while Kaitlin is in me and Bri's room watching Scooby Doo. Eventually they will both fall asleep and then I can move them into their rooms. I have tried the whole Super Nanny approach of putting them back in their rooms 50 times a night, but let's get real - how many times / nights in a row can you do that before you really lose your mind?
I really want them both trained to go to bed before the baby gets here but I just am at a loss. Please tell me how you do it! I am determined to get this figured out!!!! Kaitlin is just plain defiant about it, but Jackson is almost 5 so I can talk to him about it and he says, "I know, Mom!" But it doesn't help the situation. We even set up an incentive that if he stays in his room and falls asleep, he can have his first sleepover at "Mimi's" house (my mom) which he thoroughly looking forward to. But it doesn't work either. AAAHHHH! HELP ME!
Labor Day Weekend Stuff
5 days ago


10 comments:
I have two ideas that have worked. Maybe you've tried these already, but I'll tell you just in case!
1. A strict bedtime schedule. We always do the routine in the same order: bath, pajamas, tooth-brushing, scriptures, prayers, bed. Whenever they want to deviate from the schedule, we just say no.
2. A bedtime "pass." I made two passes that look like tickets and taped them to the boys' headboards. If they want to get up for a glass of water or another kiss, they have to use their passes. They CANNOT get up after they've used their passes for the night. Most of the time they hold their passes so dear that they don't even want to use them. Jacob has clung to his all night and has come in at 7 a.m. to say that he wants to use his pass! I told him that he could use it for breakfast. Oh, and there are rules about the pass. No using it for "getting up to draw a map of our house and street," as Jacob suggested one night. It's just for a drink or a hug or a little song.
Amy's ideas are really good -- she's so smart. I wanted to tell you that we did that SuperNanny idea once with a kid about Kaitlin's age, and it was frustrating, but after about 2-3 nights, it worked. The key is you can't give up! If they think you'll give up eventually, they'll keep getting up. They finally stay in bed when they realize no matter what they do, you're going to put them back in. It's taken me about ten years of parenting to figure this out, but being consistent with your kids really does work. If you come up with a plan and stick to the plan, even when it seems hard, they get the message eventually. Good luck!
Have you tried a new blanket or new pillow, or even a lamp you can leave on with their favorite cartoon on it? Darla had to give up and get her son and ugly Thomas the Train comforter and he finally slept in his own bed instead of the couch. I hate when they won't go to sleep in their own bed, it's so hard. Good luck getting them trained before your baby gets here.
Bring out the belts. No nice guy. It's the only way to go. JK. My kids had the same problem and we have to do the supper nanny thing. Sorry I don't have a better idea. I do have a good idea of getting your kids to sleep/stay in their bed longer in the morning though, if you want that idea.
yes Alicia, what's your idea for staying in bed longer in the morning? My kids are up by 7:30 NO MATTER WHAT.
Spencer is much younger than Jackson, so I'm sure this won't work but we just put a doorknob cover on his door and shut it. He can't get out. Some nights we'd go in later to find him asleep on the floor. Now he begs us to leave the door open "just a little" and he knows that if he gets out of his bed, we shut it. On especially frustrating nights, I also threaten to take away his beloved piggy bank - that ALWAYS works. Maybe something like this would work for Kaitlin?
I've heard good things about Super Nanny's technique too, but the trick is being super, super consistent. Hard. Good luck to you, woman!
Okay jenn, I'm telling you that this book really works! My kids weren't going to sleep either and Ella was the worst. I was seriously pulling my hair out and getting so frustrated and then Seth went and found this book. I was skeptical at first but I followed everything they said and it works! Buy the book i would totally lend it to you but i can't get to your house so easy anymore. It's called The Sleepeasy Solution by jennifer waldburger and jill spivack! You know that if women wrote it its good! It Seriously had them going to bed with no issues in three days and we haven't had a single problem since. Its amazing! I think their website is called sleepyplanet.com. I don't usually recommend things but I definitely will on this! Good luck! Jenn Bryant
I agree with the consistency being the key. You also need to make sure that they know you make the decisions and not them. It's a constant battle reminding myself that I need to be the parent, even if it means hurting my girls feelings.
I think Kaitlin will adjust more easily, whereas Jackson knows he's gotten his way many times before so it will take a lot longer with him.
I would also recommend that you and Brian alternate nights being the bad guy, so it's not so wearing on either one of you. AND so that at least one of you is well rested for the next night. AND make sure you're both doing the exact thing and staying consistent... no giving in!
double dose of robitussin dm, ha!
Great tips! I used to just stay and rub their backs after I read to them each night. Strict bed schedule too. If worse came to worse, we'd threaten the kids that they would have to go sit out on the porch in the dark if they didn't stay in their bed and go to sleep. Mean, I know, but it worked.
Post a Comment