Spring break ended up being a total bust for us. I'm glad we didn't have plans to go out of town or something because Kait was sick almost the whole time. She had her friend come home from school with her on the Friday before Spring Break, and not 20 minutes into their playdate, she threw up all over her friend. Gross. So, her friend went home and she took a nap and then seemed ok the rest of the day and Saturday, but then Sunday, I noticed she was just laying around and not really doing much. I finally felt her forehead that evening and she was burning up! She spent Sunday thru Tuesday with a fever of 102-104. I took her to the dr and they did a strep test which the dr on call thought was negative.
However, before we realized Kait was sick, I told each of the kids they got to choose what we were going to do each day - they had their own day. Monday was Logan's day and he wanted to go to the dinosaur museum. Luckily for us, Mimi said that Kait could spend the day with her (sick) while I took the other kids and met our friends there.
Tuesday was Kait's day and obviously, we didn't do anything because she was still sick but her fever broke Tuesday afternoon so we made plans to go on a hike and picnic with the cousins on Wednesday. She felt a lot better so we went ahead with plans.Thursday, the on call Dr called and said that Kati's strep test came back and it was positive! However, he wasn't sure what strain she had - the contagious one or the not, so to err on the side of caution, he put her on antibiotics and told her that she shouldn't do anything Thursday, so another day home bound. By Friday, she had been on antibiotics for 24 hours so we were still able to have Carli's playdate with her friends.
On Monday, Jackson and Carli had their well visits with their pediatrician and I asked him to look up Kait's test results. They were negative for the strep virus so no more antibiotics. Oh, but wait, the dr looked at Jackson's eyes and said, call me later if his eyes are pink and irritated. They looked fine to me but around 5pm that day, Logan said, "mom, my eyes hurt!" I looked at his and Jackson's eyes - they both had pink eye! UGH!!!! So one day back to school after spring break and they are both home the next day with pink eye!
luckily, we are 1 week strong with no illnesses... the previous weeks, all of the kids had had the flu. It's been a long haul of illnesses in our family.




No comments:
Post a Comment